Monday, February 05, 2007

NASTRAN what ??????????????????????

Well here’s an incident that happened to me when I was in NAL and working there on a project related to critical speed of mixed flow compressor shaft. As I was busy analyzing the shaft in NASTRAN, a project trainee working there saw me doing NASTRAN and approached me if I have the software. I said yes and as he brought his CD, I burned it to it. But it was after this that I got shocked when he questioned, hey what does NASTRAN does? Imagine, just collecting software with no aim. I was amazed at the guy. Is it me or something wrong with the person. Being BE mechanical, I can understand he might not know what NASTRAN is but I am was stuck by the aimless stocking tendency that the guy displayed by promptly bringing a cd and preserving the software. Probably he might have a library of all the softwares available in the market but what’s the use, why this senseless draw to getting software for the sake of it….  I guess that’s a mentality we grow up with when we gather notes for our exams and get hold any book we know is mentioned in the syllabus book!!!

 

I’m not judging you judge. As I mentioned earlier software are tools and means to a goal and not the goal itself. I am glad the guy was not  an aesi guy but then for the aesi guys its one thing I want to stress, be a master of one tool and have strong fundamentals of your domain and good communication skills to display what you know and there is nothing that can stop you to be a succeed in your profession.

 

 

 

Search This Blog