Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Problems with AeSI degree!!!

In Orkut's AeSI's community, Mr. Nilesh has posted some valid points which I couldn't resist myself in posting here. In this points he states his view on why AMAeSI degree is not the right choice.



My views are similar and if someone will ask me point blank "If I were your brother, will you recommend this degree to me?" My answer will be no.



Don't get me wrong, I am proud of the degree, I have worked for it and have attained it and have told many times that aerospace engineers coming out of AeSI are the best Indian aerospace professionals that you will meet. Many more people have accentuated this fact, but then the way whole examination system and what Nilesh has rightly put  "Erratic question papers, puzzling evaluation and results " I don't think i can recommend my brother or cousin to face that. Sometimes it feels worse than a lottery.



Anyway, here's what Nilesh has to say.....



 


Hello All,

This is not against anybody neither I want to argue with anybody here. I think new students who wish to join this course should know some facts and figures before they join this, unlike many of us who didn't knew anything at all.


Major Disadvantages


1. It is not exactly like a regular BE degree in spite is has been given "equivalent" to BE status. This creates lot of problems.


2. Though the course is not "correspondence" officially it is neither a full time regular course.


3. No strategy on examinations, how many students to be passed or about the criteria for evaluation/grace markings.


4. No set up for Jobs to students.


5. Erratic question papers, puzzling evaluation and results add to its uselessness.


6. No guarantee of how many years you will need to do this degree.


7. Even after you pass out life is a struggle for first year at least.


Now considering the Industry in India, and the job scene as well as admission scene at various engineering colleges/universities, getting job after a "regular degree" has become very easy. Many companies come on the campus and students are getting jobs in their third years.


So ,


1, If you are a good student then why do you wish to take the path which is not only difficult but uncertain where you could have a safe and successful career otherwise.


2. If you think you are not a good student, then beware, this isn't an easy course.


Two main reasons i see many people take this course are


a.) its cheap


b.) Admission is very easy.


If your main reason is above the two, rethink before you join the course.


I do not mean to discourage students who are already doing or wish to join this course, but its always good to know facts how ever bitter they are.


All the best,


Nilesh.



He also adds



But a simple analysis can give you a picture of AeSI degree.

1. Campus jobs:


There are around 27 states in India, so around the 50 technical universities/institutes with hundreds of Engineering colleges in each state. Just try to find how many colleges in your city offer campus placements. See if prestigious/popular and renowned colleges offer campus placement. So in short check whether you are in majority or minority?


2. Passing it in time:


How many students clear this course in fours years every term?? Check out the stats.. during my time (batch) I know of only 1 person who did it in 4 years against around 1000 students who registered. So, does that mean all the 999 are incapable of doing AeSI?? and if so then the next question you should ask is are you in that one or 999 persons?


3. About AeSI administration:


I don't need to say anything on this. It's worst admin of all I have seen till date. Besides, try contacting few companies/seniors to know how many companies/organizations accept this course as a BE course and give jobs to AeSI people.





Anyway's, I am not here to benefit myself from anybody doing or not doing AeSI. I sincerely feel many people lack awareness and this are my two cents.


Wish you guys all the best.



So tell me, what do you think?




Search This Blog