Saturday, June 06, 2009

Training with pay or without pay

The essense of training is to get yourself honed with the skills that
are needed in the industry!! So even if it comes without pay one
shouldn't be so worked up with this. An unpaid training with good
technical work is much better than a paid one with nothing to do!!

For my case, I was still in the last semester and was awaiting for the
results of last semester that I initiated my training. With help from
friends I knew I wanted to work for dr ramamurthy and I was lucky that
I got selected by him after a round if technical and personal
discussions.

At that time he needed my programming skills and I was looking for
working on the interesting projects he was involved in. I was
specially interested in the small gas turbine project and the design
of India's first mixed flow compressor. It was my own initiative that
made it possible that I was able to work on both of them.

And the first six months I was with him, I worked on unpaid basis and
then I was offered to work on paid basis which I acceted and worked
there for the next year or so. Now in all this thing, I knew what I
wanted to learn and slowly and steady positioned myself to be a part
of those projects.

Initially I was just involved on the programming work, but in the side
I began picking up solidworks and as my mentor saw my skills he
assigned me on the mixed flow compressor design project. Similarly I
wanted to try out the stress software so I began tinkering with it and
this again caught notice of my mentor and I had the pleasure of
working on the critical speed calculations involving ansys.

So what's the take away from all this

1. Always seek and grab opportunities for training be it paid or
unpaid. The main question to ask before joining one is 'will the
training make me industry ready?'

2. This is your training so don't limit yourself on one software, one
project. Learn and move on to others. Learn and pick up new skills.
From catia, to solidwor

3. Your mentor might not know all your skills, nor will he have the
time to ascertain those. So expose them to him. Show him your
interest, ask him questions regarding them and find ways you can use
those to some project work of his.

4. Do the best in the work that's assigned to you. This is the work
will set the kind of work you will get from your mentor. Do be the
best in them.

Well these are some of the things that has helped me get the best out
of the my training and I hope this will do similar benefits to you.

Search This Blog