Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Importance of First Class Degree in Aerospace Job market - help me answer this question

Recently I got a mail from someone who has graduated from AeSI this semester. We had the following discussions on email. Now I want your help on this. So readers of this blog please pitch in and have your say to what he should do or not do?


Please read the whole of the discussion and chip in your comment at http://my-aesi.blogspot.com/

Hello Sir,

This result brought a new spark in my life as I 'finally' cleared my BE from AeSI (in Propulsion). Although I find this good news surrounded by mist.. I cleared my degree with 58%.
My confusion is, will 58% pose obstructions in growth of my career? Is it difficult to grab a good first job with less than 60%? Also, as of now I am not planning for post graduation.

Since you really hold good knowledge of Indian Aerospace job market.. I keenly seek your advice on this.
What should I do, should I get my degree in current status or should I wait & go for improvement (I'll have to take at least 2 subjects to make up for deficit). Although I am not very interested in delaying my degree by another 6 months, but nothing stands taller than requirements which are necessary for a good career.

I hope I was able to express myself well, plz let me know if there's anything more you need to know to advice me on this.
Waiting for your response...

Thanks & Regards


My reply.....

Hi

Congrats on Becoming an engineer!! Well the choices you are facing are similar to what I faced when I received my final mark sheet.

So what should you do? Frankly I don't know! Nor will anyone else know. It's your decision that you have to take. But here are some points that I can state to help you decide.

1. 60% is absolutely necessary if you want government job. They still insist on it. Rules are bend now on then but not always.

2. Very very few people get a job just after graduating. Even if you are above 60% you might have to wait for couple of months to get a job.

3. Skills are more important than the degree. If you have the skills there is no way people can restrict you in any company.

4. There are lot of AeSI graduates in every aerospace organisation in India so AeSI folks are all accepted in companies. Remove a shadow of doubt that AeSI and low percentage marks can hinder you.


5. Yes having percentage will open more options but it's the skills that will help you soar in your career. If you have the skills. You will get a job in days.

As I see it from this side.

A career is like a hot air balloon. Your degree gives you the permit to fly, and the percentage is just the volume of the balloon. What really matters is the hot air. If you can pump enough of it , no one can stop your balloon to reach the sky. This hot air is your abilities, your skills, your initiative.

So its up to you now, do you want increase the volume of your balloon or pump it up with hot air to begin your journey as an engineer.

Good luck!!

Hello Sir,

Thanks for your reply (specially when you wrote all this from your mobile) :)

I do understand that skills hold a very important position but fear from situation when at few places people won't even agree to look at my CV as I am ineligible according to their rules!!

"1. 60% is absolutely necessary if you want government job. They still insist on it. Rules are bend now on then but not always."
- What % does govt jobs constitute among all? Can a person be still in a comfortable position for fetching a job if he is not eligible to apply to govt jobs due to 60% rule. I don't have much idea on this. Please comment...

Also, are private firms not much concerned about this fact or is it like they tend to ignore it if otherwise you posses a good profile?

What did you decide at your time? :) Where are you working these days?

There's one more thing sir, In the job market, is there really a difference in jobs for Propulsion or Aerodynamics engineer? I mean like this job is for Aero & this is for Prop. Should a person just grab whatever is coming his way, prop based or aero based (sometimes getting a job becomes more important than field of interest)?

I hope I am not troubling you much with my never ending questions... :)

Thanks & regards


I know I have lot of readers who have lot to say on this topic, with this blog post, I want to invite all the past and present AeSI graduates to share their experience and advice with him. So now its your turn, come forward and have your say. Write in your comment at http://my-aesi.blogspot.com

Search This Blog